IBS and Metabolic Syndrome Symptoms – Early Warning Signs
Busy lifestyles and general life stresses can take the edge off our health. The key to wellness is being proactive, not reactive. Centuries ago, there was “bare foot” doctors. These were Acupuncture practitioners who wandered from village to village treating the ill. Their job was to also prevent illness, not just treat it. If they could see town folk not looking 100%, they could intervene before an illness developed.
Conditions like Celiac’s Disease or Diabetes don’t happen overnight. They are slow and gradual, the sooner symptoms are recognised and treated, the less chance there is of the illness progressing. This is how my Acupuncture can help you. Why wait until you feel sick? if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, then its an indicator that your digestion is being effected by stress or illness.
Metabolic Syndrome (Syndrome X)
This is a more recent group of symptoms, which are becoming a precursor for people developing diabetes, heart disease and increasing their risk of stroke. It is brought about largely by improper diet and lack of exercise, and contains warning signs many Australians can’t afford to ignore. The criteria for Metabolic Syndrome are:
- Central Abdominal Obesity (excess weight primarily carried around the abdomen), which is visceral fat around your organs
- Elevated blood pressure
- Higher LDL cholesterol and Low HDL Cholesterol
- Higher than normal fasting blood glucose levels (which indicate insulin resistance)
All of the above symptoms too are big warning lights in Chinese Medicine, showing an impairment of your body’s systems which will result in long term health issues. It is important not to ignore these signs, and take positive steps to improve your lifestyle and seeking medical assistance.
IBS Symptoms to watch out for:
- Decreased or excessive appetite and sweet cravings
- Feeling of general fatigue and trouble concentrating
- Change in bowel habits or pains in your stomach when stressed
- Frontal headaches or chronic sinusitis
- nausea and bloating leading up to or during your menstrual cycle
- Increased feelings of anxiety and worry
- nausea or constant bloating after eating
- Reflux or a constant bitter taste in your mouth
- sluggish bowel movements or loose stools after certain foods
- Recently caught a stomach bug on an overseas holiday and haven’t fully recovered
- developing food intolerances; such as bloating after eating wheat or stomach pains from dairy products
These all point to imbalances developing in the digestion. The sooner you seek treatment, the quicker you can recover, giving you more time and vitality to do the things you love. If you ignore these early IBS Symptoms, then permanent damage can occur to your digestion.